I think we would all prefer ripped and vibrant but a lot of girls are ripped and sick because of their nutrition.
So how do we get both?
How do we get shredded and be healthy and vibrant?
How do we exude life and vitality?
To achieve optimal body composition we need to manage the amount of food we eat.
I teach all of my girls how to track macros and over time we work out exactly how their body responds to certain intakes of protein, carbs fat and fiber.
Once we are on top of the amount of macros, we need to focus on micronutrients and food quality.
Most people never get to that point, they are purely eating way too much food and have no discipline or they are cruel to themselves and are starving themselves of energy.
In both these cases, their body composition suffers.
They are either fat
all which are all bad options.
So we need to get our macros right to have ideal body composition.
If you need some help with that you can download my Ultimate Macro Plan here.
But micronutrients are also crucial to our health and performance and most people who are trying to achieve ideal body composition ignore their micronutrient intake. Often they try to make up for this by using supplements, vitamins and minerals or foods fortified with micronutrients.
I think that this is a mistaken approach.
Supplements can have their place but we want to be deriving most of our micronutrients from a wide variety of unprocessed foods.
Micronutrients are about 40 essential minerals, vitamins, fatty acids and amino acids that we have to get from our diet. Food is the vehicle to deliver micronutrients and compounds that are beneficial for health.
So we want food to be the delivery system for micronutrients,
food; not pills or powders or potions (again there are exceptions).
Most genes that encode enzymes require micronutrients as co-factors.
Enzymes are the machines that do work inside of your cells.
Enzymes are involved in your
metabolism (energy levels),
neurotransmitters (your mood and how you feel),
repair and damage (how you recover from exercise).
All the things you need to be working optimally to have elite body composition and to feel vibrant. These enzymes and processes need more than just energy to do their job, they need micronutrients to work properly.
There are recommended levels (RDI in Australia) of micronutrients that are suggested to make sure we get adequate amounts.
However adequate is a long way from optimal.
So whilst a recommended amount of micronutrients may stop us having symptoms of disease or deficiency. The RDI’s don’t mean that we are operating optimally in the short term or reducing aging in the long term.
The RDI also don't take into account genetic variations and individuality.
Often the types and quantities of micronutrients we need are dependent on where our ancestors are from making RDI less useful for us.
So what to do practically?
1) Try to eat your macros from whole foods. Protein from whole food rather than powder, Carbs from veggies and fruit rather than pasta and rice. Fats from marine creatures, seeds and nuts.
2) Eat a lot of green leafy vegetables. Probably three times the amount your eating now. You need to have at least handful with every meal. Greens are really good in protein shakes.
Here is a recipe: 1 cup spinach, 1 cup kale, Half a cup frozen pumpkin, Half a cup frozen blueberries, 1 banana, 1 tbps chia seeds, 1 scoop hemp protein, 1 tsp slippery elm bark --- Blend.
3) When eating out, order oily fish and vegetables. Most of us aren’t great at cooking these so we don’t have them at home. Make these a preference when you eat out.
4) Add fresh herbs to all of your meals. Herbs are kind of like little super vegetables. Even better grow your own and eat those.
5) I’ll add one supplement on here. Get a fish oil supplement. Do your research because you get what you pay for. Cycle between fish oil and cod liver oil.
6) Eat a variety of colors every day. Eat as many different colored vegetables as you can.
I saw big changes in my physique and how I felt, once I started eating more fiber, greens and getting a better balance of fats in my diet.
My skin improved, I had better energy and my workouts were good, even when I was dieting and on lower calories before the worlds.
I want you to feel as vibrant as I do
Love and Light
#1 Miss World WBFF Fitness Diva
Access the Ultimate Macro Plan by clicking on the banner below.